Support to cultural heritage monuments of great importance for Cyprus - Phase 4
What is the project about
Since 2010 the United Nations Development Programme and the European Commission have been assisting the bi-communal Technical Committee on Cultural Heritage to preserve the island’s cultural heritage.
This fourth phase (2015-2018) of the programme “Support to cultural heritage monuments of great importance for Cyprus” aims to continue supporting the efforts of the bi-communal Technical Committee on Cultural Heritage to contribute to the ongoing peace and confidence building process by bringing communities closer to their shared heritage through conservation and emergency measures projects.
This project reflects the positive spirit within the Technical Committee on Cultural Heritage further developed during the implementation of the previous EU funded phases of the programme (Phase 1 – Phase 2 – Phase 3).
The knowledge and experience gained so far have been incorporated in this new project Phase where the Technical Committee agreed to go beyond emergency support measures towards basic conservation.
Therefore, under Phase 4, the following have been considered:
- Technical studies will focus on conservation works;
- Awareness to demonstrate the social effects of conservation will be enhanced when cultural heritage sites are located in inhabited areas, close to one another and accessible by visitors and local communities;
- More attention will be directed to activities that stimulate social awareness of the importance of cultural heritage and contribute to some measure of potential local level resource mobilization and participation;
- Geographic distribution of the sites will be considered for reaching out to a larger number of population;
- Sustainability, maintenance and use of the sites will be considered.
What have we accomplished so far
Following an agreement reached by the two communities on the design and implementation of a comprehensive framework for the sustainability and maintenance of European Union funded cultural heritage interventions, a number of conservation designs, including surveys, is currently under study, namely:
- Panagia church in Askeia/Pasakoy
- Agios Andronicos in Kythrea/Degirmenlik
- Agios Artemon in Afanteia/Gazikoy
- School in Kotsiatis/Koccat
- Canbulat bastion in Famagusta
- Archeological site of Crysokava - Kyrenia
The following conservation works will be carried out to cultural heritage sites for which project designs were completed under Phase 3 of the programme, namely:
- St. Mary church in Famagusta - ongoing
- Hamam/Bath – Hasan Ağa in Paphos - ongoing
- Church of the Holy Cross of Karpaseia/Karpaşa - completed
- Agia Marina church in Agia Marina/Gurpinar - completed
Who finances it?
|European Union||1,400,000 EUR|